Monday, March 10, 2008

A typical winter morning for me, meaning I woke up late and took forever to get ready. To save some time, I decided to pick my breakfast up on the way to work. There's a Manhattan Bagel shop down the street from my job where breakfast with coffee is less than 5 bucks. I've been going to this place for nearly a year now. I don't even have to tell them what I want, they just say it for me: "Egg and Provolone on Pumpernickel, yeah?"

It was the same this morning. I smiled and said thank you, then walked over to their coffee machines and poured myself a cup of hazelnut coffee. My friend Alex introduced me to it a while ago, and like him, I became hooked quickly.

I poured myself a cup and moved over to the payment line. After I'd paid, whilst putting my change back into my wallet, I heard a customer to my right say "Oh FORGET IT! I'm going someplace where the goddamn people speak English!" I looked over and saw this well dressed man angrily put his drink back into the display cooler he'd gotten it from. I realize now I must have been staring at him with a puzzled look, wondering how he could think the guy behind the counter wasn't speaking English (I've been ordering food from this same dude for a year, remember). The man then looked at me, his face expressing a need to find solidarity with his indignation. "Can you believe this place?", his eyes ask me.

I looked back at my change, shook my head and uttered, "Fuck you, asshole."

He left the shop. I don't know if he heard me say the words or not. I don't care if he did or didn't, or if it offended him. He ruined my morning.

No comments: