Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cindy Sheehan quits

Cindy Sheehan, the woman who galvanized the antiwar movement by camping outside of President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas to demand an answer as to why her son died in Iraq, has quit. As she explains:
"Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives," she wrote. It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most."
I saw Cindy Sheehan speak at a rally in DC almost two years ago. The impression she made on me was very deep. I, never one to trust American corporate news, had been very skeptical initially of this woman that the media was labeling as the face of the antiwar movement. But when I saw her and heard her speak, I was moved on a very personal level. This woman had lost her son because our government had lied. They lied to her, they lied to her son Casey, they lied to all of us. She decided to take her anger and her loss and turn into a cry for peace and justice. She didn't want to be elected to office, she didn't want money, she wanted this war to end. She wanted the liars responsible for starting it to be brought to justice.




3 comments:

Melody Nelson said...

why are you pimping a mallard fillmore comic...

Wannabehero said...

Mallard Fillmore?

Dude, that's "Opus" by Berkeley Breathed.

Bloom County? Outland?

You are dumb.

Melody Nelson said...

shut up, asshole, i had a reflex reaction to seeing a birdlike creature in a vaguely sentimental scene. but that doesn't really mean i'm not stupid. *tear*