Friday, May 4, 2007

Commuting

Yesterday, I did not ride my bike to work. It wasn't the first time this happened since I started bike commuting with the advent of spring, but it was the first time I drove to work without having any particular need to do so. By that I mean, I didn't have an audition in Maryland right after work, or some other professional engagement which I wouldn't otherwise be able to reach by bike or metro. It wasn't raining, or snowing, or windy outside either. It was a perfectly sunny spring day in Virginia (there is no place on earth, in my opinion, with as beautiful a spring). I ended up driving because I ran late in the morning and in my rush to jump on my bike I forgot to pack my office clothes into my bikebag. By the time I discovered this, I was already a few miles from my house. I had to bike back home to get my clothes, after which I realized I would be late if I tried to cycle to work again. So... I drove.

And man, did it make a difference. I've heard that regular exercise improves your mood as much as your health, but I swear that after not riding too and from work that day I was the grouchiest son of a bitch I had been in weeks. When I got home I couldn't get the scowl off my face. I was so grizzled my whole head started to hurt. Just sitting at that stupid desk for eight hours without that workout before and after really changed how I felt about the day.

So... I guess the moral of all this is... RIDE YOUR GODDAMN BIKE!! IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GODDAMN BETTER AND YOU'LL BE A LOT LESS ORNERY AND MAD AT PEOPLE!!!

1 comment:

sarah said...

more bikeriding, seriously. bring yr bike down to fred and let's go riding. for real. my new bike is the shit and i've recently discovered that riding bikes with someone is probably one of the best ways to hang out, not to mention exponentially healthier than smoking cigarettes and eating at waffle house.